New copies of my book Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters, and Fighting Techniques are now available from Amazon at $24.95.
This blog contains additional information about the bowie knife, as well as the fighting knives of other nations.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review of Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters, and Fighting Techniques

Nice review of Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters, and Fighting Techniques at the White Shadow Dojo blog.

If you read his previous post, you'll find that the blogger, a martial arts teacher and bowie knife aficionado, almost didn't want to read my book because of the lurid cover art and title. That's a concern to me. It's a serious, well-researched book and I think anyone who reads it will recognize the seriousness of my efforts in putting it together. Perhaps I should have called it The Bowie Knife: History of an American Weapon, or something like that. I think the publisher was worried that once you call something "history" you turn off a large segment of your potential buyers.

As for the cover art, well, what can I say? Put me in front of a sheet of paper with a pen and my hand and I'm a wild man.

Illustration of one of bowie-knife fighter Sam Brown's notorious murders, from the book.

5 comments:

  1. I just ran across your blog the other day while doing research on traditional Bowies. Great stories! I ordered your book on amazon this morning. Keep up the great work.
    E Cashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks--that's what I like to hear. I believe you'll enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, would you mind my using the above illustration as a flyer for my country band?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bowie knife, named after James Bowie, has a long history in fighting and survival situations. Techniques vary, but involve slashes, thrusts, and parries. Famous fighters include Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, and William Barret Travis. Key principles include proper stance and grip, footwork, and swift, decisive movements.

    ReplyDelete