New copies of my book Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters, and Fighting Techniques are now available from Amazon at $24.95.
This blog contains additional information about the bowie knife, as well as the fighting knives of other nations.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Best Bowies of 2010

Nick Wheeler W2 Fighter

Blade Forums had a competition to choose the best custom bowies of 2010.  Of the knives shown, my favorite is the Nick Wheeler fighter shown above. Wheeler is a full-time bladesmith operating out of Winlock, Washington.

I also like the one made by Bruce Bump, who has a shop in Walla Walla, Washington. Its details give full expression to the knifemaker's art, but it is a little ornate for my taste--not to suggest that I wouldn't be proud to own it.

Bruce Bump Justice Bowie

I love the classic 19th-century look of the "Dogbone" Bowie made by John White. White's shop is located in the Florida Panhandle town of Valparaiso.

John White's Dogbone Bowie

Taste in knives is a highly individual matter, and it's no use arguing about it. You like what you like.

1 comment: