My book Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters, and Fighting Techniques is available from Paladin Press. This blog contains additional information about the bowie knife, as well as the fighting knives of other nations.

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Knife Fighters, by Johan Peter Molin


I got a few comments already on the lurid quality of my cover. I drew it from the classical-style bronze sculpture pictured above, called "Bältespännarna," or "The Knife Fighters," by the Swedish sculptor Johan Peter Molin (1814 - 1873). It depicts a knife fight between two men bound together with a belt. The bronze reliefs on the plinth show that they are fighting over a woman. The sculpture dates from 1860 and is displayed in a park in Göteborg. A copy is displayed in Stockholm.

I dressed the fighters in western garb and gave them bowie knives. I know it's not a particularly realistic depiction of a knife fight, but I liked its drama. I credit the original work in my book.

1 comment:

  1. An homage to a knife fight in Sweden!? They'll probably soon replace it with a statue of some great Swedish Muslim.

    ReplyDelete